Wednesday, June 8, 2016

Perks of being a Nurse


The endless supply of eye-luggage-causing-night-shifts!
Having enough reason to taste all the newly released coffee flavors
Reason to stay in bed the whole day
Having the ability to maintain a poker face
Learning new stuffs about the human anatomy

---------- oOo ----------



---------- oOo ----------

Being a nurse is one of the most challenging jobs there is, I believe. It entails a lot of not just physical stamina, but of emotional and intellectual stability as well.  Balancing these three is very difficult, that oftentimes we tend to neglect our very own physical health. I have read from an article, which I can no longer find to link, that healthcare workers are one of the unhealthiest people in the world. We care for the sick, yet, we ourselves are slowly becoming sick, quite ironic, isn’t it?

As a nurse, we are also expected to look pleasant for our clients. They say that we do not want to look just as sick as our patients, don’t we?  But because of the inevitable night shifts and long working hours, we tend to look just as that. However, we have ways to combat that. This is necessary because I believe what we look like from the outside represents how we feel from the inside.

Let me give you some tips to look better and feel much energized and good whilst working through those long hours!

For the men, before going to work, shave that facial hair. Excessive facial hair gives your face that narrowed look, and will bring people’s focus to your eyes, which is already dark from those endless night shifts you spent working. Do shave, and people will be able to see that wonderful smile! When people see you smile, they will feel good as well, and you know the saying, you will receive what you give? Doesn’t it make you feel wonderful, as well, making other people happy with just your smile?

Another one is get a haircut! Yes, a clean cut will do wonders. You will not only feel fresh and clean with a shorter hair, but you will feel lighter and will not feel the need to always fix it with your hands. Remember, we use our hands to care for our sick clients, and then you will touch your hair with those! Hmmm…

For men and women, cut those finger nails short and clean. I do not need to reiterate the wonderful sensation of having short nails if you are a nurse. But, as I have said, we use our hands for so many things in the hospital, and the hospital is not the freest from bacteria among all the places in Earth. Bacteria can easily get inside those small nail crevices. Cut it clean. I personally feel wonderful and light whenever I cut my nails.

Aside from the hygienic practices that we already know we ought to do women can also apply a bit of makeup. Some of us feel better and livelier whenever we put a bit of makeup on, like we are ready to face the world, because we know we look presentable. Here are some of the items I personally use to hide those eye luggage, pimple marks and uneven skin tones.


This is my holy grail item of all time. The L.A. Girl Pro. Conceal has one of the best formulation for your under eye circles. It is not that thick to crease in those fine lines. It costs Php 319.00, but it lasts me for months! At times, I do not use any other creams on my face but only this concealer under my eyes, and it makes me look livelier. 


I use BB Cream just to even out my skin tone. I feel like whenever I have an even skin tone, I look fresh and more welcoming. My face is open, if you know what I mean. It cost me around Php 400.00, but I have been using this single tube for a very long time now. It only has a light to medium coverage and is very light on the skin, like you are not wearing anything.


This is my favorite mascara from AVON, but you can use the mascara of your choice. As we all know, putting extra lashes will lift your eyes and makes it more open and awake. This one really adds length to my lashes, though not volume, which for me is a plus for everyday use.


This is the lipstick I usually wear because it is not that bright. My lips are super pale without lipstick on, and I usually wear lipstick of light colors just to cover my pale lips. Bringing color on your lips will give people the impression that you are a healthy human being!

So, yeah! These are the items I usually use on everyday basis to bring color on my face, because if not I will look like a zombie. Knowing that I have not prepared myself for the day makes me feel not-so-good, like I am preparing myself to lounge at home and not to meet people. However, wearing makeup is a personal preference. I have met people who in spite of not wearing any makeup on still looks fresh and awake, though they have been working night shifts for a while.

(Disclaimer: For me, to look better means to feel better. It does not mean I wear makeup to impress. People might not be impressed with my makeup skills anyways. But, I wear makeup because it makes ME feel like I am ready to face the world outside home.)

Aside from these, do not forget feeding your emotional and intellectual sides. Stay positive no matter how bad the situation you are in, offer some time to prayer. Bad things will pass and it will only get better. Remember this, in nursing things won't get easy, we only get tougher!

No comments:

Post a Comment